The R&D Packaging Engineer/Technician’s main task will be to support the research and development of flexible packaging materials while placing key focus on the needs of the customer and the efficiency of Amgraph’s converting operations.
- Understand customers needs and equipment
- Research for new materials and substrates on the market
- Develop trials to evaluate materials
- Laboratory analysis of packaging materials
- Submission of new business quotes
- Trial order management, and related activities
- Assists in the daily operations of the department and provides support as necessary to manage new business, including…
- All corresponding record keeping
- Data entry
The R&D Packaging Engineer maintains the highest quality and service standards. They are responsible for other special projects and administrative support as needed by the New Business Program and R&D Department.
- Bachelor of Packaging Science or related field is required; a Bachelor of Science in Chemistry is a plus. (related fields include but are not limited to Material Sciences, Chemistry, and Physics.)
- An emphasis of polymer science and engineering as applied to packaging science. Includes polymer morphology, rheology, physical properties, processing methods, and polymerization and the relationship among processing, structure, and properties.
- Thorough understanding of packaging materials and their functional properties in packaging application.
- Thorough understanding of compatibility of product and package, structural design, costs.
- Understanding of the machinery used to form, fill, seal, and handle various packaging, products, and packaging materials.
- Self-starter, initiating functional improvements with constant effort towards cost reductions and/or increased productivity and salability.
- Professionalism in a collaborative work environment with excellent oral and written communication skills.
- Remains flexible and concentrated when working under pressure
- Experience in sourcing and evaluating inks, coatings, adhesives, primers, resins, films, foils, papers, and various other food packaging materials.
- Experience analyzing and interpreting GC/MS and FTIR analytical data and other standard packaging lab equipment.
- Working knowledge of food safety, and food quality compliance programs, federal and local regulatory matters; to include safety and environmental concerns. Professional experience with these matters is a plus.
- Project management experience.
- Experience with sales/marketing/professional development a plus.
- Comptitive Salary
- Generous benefits package to include Medical, Prescription, Dental and Vision Insurance, Short and Long-Term Disability Insurance, Life Insurance, 401K with employer contribution, paid vacation and 12 paid holidays.